First posted at Pigeon Pair
S is for satin batiste. As in the fabric I used for Baby's First Christmas. A sweet bishop for baby.
The recipe for this sweet dress:
1- Shoulder Button Bishop-Creative Needle- Jan Feb 1998
1- "Nicole" smocking plate- Creative Needle- August 2005
1- Yard satin batiste in champagne
5- DMC floss colors #712, 600, 603, 605 and 524
1- Yard Maline lace
Satin ribbon to taste.
An infant bishop takes just a tad over a yard of fabric. I used Spechler-Vogel Satin Batiste from Bessie Mary. I had never used this fabric before making the slip for Baby's Coming Home dress. Yummy. It pleats beautifully and is wonderful to smock on. And the sheen is just perfect for the holidays. The satin sheen finish withstands washing as well.
I have always wanted to make this bishop featured in Creative Needle several years ago, but like so many other things, never had. I love the continuous look of the smocking. It is also a very full bishop without being overwhelming. The pattern is included for several sizes in the March/April 2000 issue of Creative Needle. If you don't have it, back issues can often be found on ebay.
I stumbled across the plate "Nicole" in the CN August 2005 issue looking for something else. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to do it for Christmas. Since this is a size six months I did eliminate a couple of rows of smocking. I also backsmocked the row behind vine. I had visions of the pleats popping around my pretty vine and berries.
I used a three shades of a deep magenta instead of traditional red for longevity of wear. It reads "Christmas" without shouting it. It will be just as pretty in February. DMC 712 matches the champagne color of the batiste perfectly. Mommy wanted a "winter white" as opposed to white white. I am certain there are 14,000 lazy daisies and French knots along this yoke. Sure of it. As well as 19 bullion roses.
I also piped the neckline. I can see in this picture that the binding could have used a quick touch with the iron.
This is the back, though you could certainly wear it as the front if you wanted. I had planned to use white silk satin ribbon in the smocking. My thinking was if ecru/off white smocking and ribbon look good on white then white would look good on the off white. Not. If I had used white for the smocking perhaps. The white ribbon just looked like I had used the wrong color. So I opted for cream poly ribbon that I had on hand. I'll switch it to silk satin after Christmas when life isn't so crazy.
For the sleeves I added a row of half space baby waves above and below the center full space waves. I did this for two reasons, our Mommy likes a more substantial smocking on the sleeves and I didn't want the ribbon to get buried in the gathers of the sleeve once it was on her and tied. I sprinkled a few more lazy daisies and French knots above and below the ribbon. The sleeves are trimmed with a champagne maline lace. Also from Bessie Mary.
I have a few more projects to finish up and a bazillion other things to do for the holiday. I am off to finish.